Last night, Amazon CEO and current richest man in the world, Jeff Bezos took to the blog site Medium to publish his case for extortion, accusing the famous tabloid National Enquirer of threatening him with nude photos.
I’ve written a post about developments with the National Enquirer and its parent company, AMI. You can find it here: https://t.co/G1ykJAPPwy
— Jeff Bezos (@JeffBezos) February 7, 2019
According to Bezos, the photos were to blackmail him into ending a Washington Post investigation into the tabloid after they published a story last month divulging lurid texts between him and former TV anchor Lauren Sanchez.
The National Enquirer is owned by American Media Inc (AMI) which is led by David Pecker, who has had a vendetta against Bezos due to the coverage Saudi Arabia by the Washington Post, which Bezos has owned since 2013.
Now, Bezos says AMI has more intimate photos and texts from and is blackmailing him by threatening to reveal them unless he stopped the Post’s investigation.
The Amazon CEO published an email from Dylan Howard, AMI’s chief content officer, who detailed the images they had of Bezos and Sanchez.
In addition to the “below the belt selfie — otherwise colloquially known as a ‘d*ck pick’” — The Enquirer obtained nine more images. These include:
– Mr. Bezos face selfie at what appears to be a business meeting.
– Ms. Sanchez response — a photograph of her smoking a cigar in what appears to be a simulated oral sex scene.
– A shirtless Mr. Bezos holding his phone in his left hand — while wearing his wedding ring. He’s wearing either tight black cargo pants or shorts — and his semi-erect manhood is penetrating the zipper of said garment.
– A full-length body selfie of Mr. Bezos wearing just a pair of tight black boxer-briefs or trunks, with his phone in his left hand — while wearing his wedding ring.
– A selfie of Mr. Bezos fully clothed.
– A full-length scantily-clad body shot with short trunks.
– A naked selfie in a bathroom — while wearing his wedding ring. Mr. Bezos is wearing nothing but a white towel — and the top of his pubic region can be seen.
– Ms. Sanchez wearing a plunging red neckline dress revealing her cleavage and a glimpse of her nether region.
– Ms. Sanchez wearing a two-piece red bikini with gold detail dress revealing her cleavage.
These “catch and kill” tactics are on par with what AMI and pecker have been doing for years. It bought the silence of Karen McDougal, who allegedly had an affair with Donald Trump and is clear they’re doing it again here.
However, AMI is standing firm.
Today they released a statement saying the company “believes fervently it acted lawfully” in dealing with the Bezos story and that “it was in good faith negotiations to resolve all matters” with Bezos when he made the allegations.
BREAKING: AMERICAN MEDIA, LLC RESPONSE TO STATEMENT BY JEFF BEZOS: pic.twitter.com/SWg17REDyx
— Ryan Ruggiero (@RyanRuggiero) February 8, 2019
Authorities still have not gotten involved but until then, Bezos might have been smart to get ahead of the news. Such information without context could tarnish the trust of shareholders.