Skip to content Skip to footer

It’s slow for Conor McGregor after arrest for robbery and criminal mischief

Conor McGregor is in big trouble with the law, again.

The Miami Helard is reporting that the two-division UFC champion was arrested Monday evening after police said he smashed a fan’s phone outside the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel.

The report says McGregor and a fan were walking out of the resort just past 5 a.m when McGregor “slapped” the phone out of his hand and stomped on it after catching his picture being taken without his permission.

Police say McGregor picked up the phone, valued at $1,000, and walked away with it.

McGregor wasn’t arrested at the scene but was found and detained at his Miami Beach home after detectives reviewed surveillance.

Now, according to Miami police officials, he’s facing strong-armed robbery and misdemeanor criminal mischief charges and will be booked at Miami-Dade jail with future legal proceedings to follow.

His Miami defense lawyer, Samuel Rabin, said in a statement that his client “was involved in a minor altercation involving a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement. Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation.”

He posted bond and was released from Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center just after 10 p.m

Conor McGregor’s nickname is ‘notorious’ and for the entirety of his career, he’s done nothing but live up to his name.

Just last year, in July, the MMA superstar pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct charges after throwing a hand-truck into a bus window at a media event at the Barclays Center, in Brooklyn, N.Y., in April ahead of UFC 223.

The scene, captured on video, ended up going viral and showed and some fighters that were inside the bus sustained injuries from the smashed window. McGregor accepted a plea deal to avoid jail time.

Similarly, who can forget the end of his match with current UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov?  In Oct. of last year, a massive brawl broke out after a build-up of emotions that resulted in Conor and his team reportedly attacking a bus full of Khabib’s fighters at UFC 223 prior to the fight.

After defending his lightweight title, Khabib burst out in the audience as his team jumped back in the ring to sneak McGregor.

And I’m not even sure if that tops the time he told Floyd Mayweather, “Dance for me, boy!”, during a promotional event for their big PPV fight last year, which clearly had racist undertones.

McGregor is still able to cross the border to compete in the United States because he hasn’t been charged with a felony or received probation, as he is a citizen of Ireland although currently serving a suspension for his role the Khabib debacle. However, depending on the fallout of this case that may change.

Meanwhile, he shares this message via his Instagram this morning:

“Patience in this world is a virtue I continue to work on. I love my fans dearly. Thank you all.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu5lQ7rjH28/?utm_source=ig_embed

Love him or hate him, McGregor is still one of, if not, the biggest draw in the UFC, and has yet to compete for the promotion since it began its multi-year broadcasting deal with ESPN. He’s rumored to face Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in a return bout — whenever that may be.

You can see McGregor leave jail below.

 

UNLEASH YOUR CREATIVE POTENTIAL

Kulture Hub Bridges the Gap between Trailblazers and culture Hub Bridges the Gap between Trailblazers and Innovators, Shaping the Future of Creativity.